MODERNIZATION OF LAND ADMINISTRATION SYSTEM.(MLAS)
The Government of Bangladesh is interested to fully automate and computerize precisely all activities. In this respect, Daffodil has got an approval from the authority under the Ministry of Land to go through study the system to prepare a draft CLO required by the DLRS, Ministry of Land.
Daffodil have taken an advantage to present a presentation to the land authority and having the full concentration on the preparation of Certificate of Land Ownership (CLO).In this regards and respect, we have started all activities with an aim to complete this project successfully.
Land Administration Management System (LAMS)
1) The expected qualitative changes in the overall land administration system (LAS) through the introduction of a CLO based system can only be achieved by the introduction and effective utilization of the latest information technologies (IT), along with modern electronic surveying systems. A prototype or proof-of -concept computer based (LAMS) around the conceptual model was developed in the investment project.
2) LAMS will be one of the basic technologies for delivering the proposed reforms in the land administration system (LAS) and for achieving the objectives of introducing a modern LAS in Bangladesh. LAMS will enable processing of survey and mapping data (spatial data), and the gathering of ownership and related attribute data (textual data) associated with each and every land plot in an Upazilla.
Furthermore, the LAMS database will hold the legal Land Record from which CLOs will be issued from information contained in LAMS. The system will enable the recording and updating of all future land transactions and dealings for each land plot. And will securely store all previous records pertaining to each plot back to the time of Record Preparation when ownership is first established. This will ensure maintenance of the chain of title on all land plots in the system.
In addition, LAMS will facilitate bringing improvements in land development taxation (LTD) and fees assessment and collection. Moreover, LAMS will provide direct and simplified access to the official Land Record and, through collecting fees for providing land information services to clients, Government will have access to an additional revenue stream that could be used to help recover the initial Project investment costs, and to meet the costs of operation of the system.
Goals and objectives:
The Project is the start of a long journey for the Government and people of Bangladesh. It is aimed at addressing the cause of the misery suffered by the people through land-related litigation and harassment, and to free up the scare land resource of Bangladesh. The goals of the Project are two-fold:
a. Mobilization of the land resources of Bangladesh; and
b. Promotion of good governance through improved land administration.
In order to achieve these goals, the Project has established the following objectives:
- Improve equity in land administration, through increased transparency and access.
- Improve the efficiency of the land administration process.
- Create an effective property market.
- Reduce the incidence of land disputes and litigation,
- Increase Government revenues from land.
- Improve the speed of the land acquisition process.
The following elements are containing in CLO;
- Land plot description;
- Ownership rights;
- Other interests; and
- Land classification and pricing
The CLO will be reflected of the land Ownership Record, and its form will be as a well-produced, clear and "official' document issued to, and held by the land owner.
CLO preparation involves a number of specific tasks ranging from advising land holders that their Mouza is to be included in CLO preparation, carrying out surveying and mapping, adjudicating and recording of ownership rights, preparing Mouza Maps and the preparation Record, hearing objectives and appeals leading to the finalization of the preparation Record.
This report highlights many social, economic and other benefits that will accrue from the introduction of an efficient and transparent Land Administration System. In detailing the reformed system; designing the investment Project and delineating the nationwide transition, the focus has been on identifying arrangements and procedures appropriate to Bangladesh to facilitate the management and use of a scarce resource-LAND.
The benefits resulting from land administration are generally recognized and well documented. These are listed below;
- Guarantee of ownership and security of tenure
- Support for land and properly taxation
- Provide security for credit
- Develop and monitor land markets
- Protect State lands
- Reduce land disputes
- Facilitate rural land reform
- Improve urban planning and infrastructure development
- Support environmental management
- Produce statistical data.